Thursday, August 9, 2018

Why I Should Never Write From Memory


I owe you an apology.  Last night, when I was writing about discovering the movie, “The Way” in a Tahlequah video store, I described the DVD cover from memory.  I actually did a pretty good job of it, too.

It’s a shame I was wrong.

What I described was, in fact, the movie poster.  As you can see, I wasn’t too far off in the description.  It does have something of an "Abbey Road" vibe.  The thing is, it was several months later when I saw this image for the first time.


Here’s what I actually saw in the video store that night.

In hindsight, I can see why this caught my eye that night.  A man with a backpack, walking alone, at a time when I felt VERY alone.  That man is clearly Martin Sheen.  I like Martin Sheen.  Finally, the tag line on the DVD cover was, “You don’t choose a life, you live one.”  Knowing where my spirit was in that chapter of my life, I can see why I picked this up, when nothing else appealed to me.

It’s funny what a fluid thing memory is:  Constantly changing, flowing, rearranging itself.  I used to say with confidence that I had crystal-clear memory.  Now, I remember things with equal clarity.  Problem is, I remember things in a very different way from how they actually happened, or I have cinematic memories of things that never happened at all.

Here’s my promise for the day:  When recounting my past, I will always try my best to give an accurate and true account.  That being said, I have to issue a blanket disclaimer by reminding you that the fiction writer in my head may have had his way with that moment, and it may well be… fiction.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment